When will my surgery be?
After your appointment we will schedule your surgery date. In most cases, the date of your surgery is flexible. However, in some cases we may need to schedule your surgery immediately. The surgery center should call you regarding your surgical time. The time is dependent on your level of urgency and operating room availability.
How can I prepare for my surgery?
- Medical Clearance You may have to see your primary care physician (PCP) for pre-operative clearance. You may also have to get lab work and an EKG done. The surgery center may call you to coordinate this, or it may be coordinated through your PCP’s office.
- Fasting and Medications The night before your surgery, please do not eat or drink after midnight. We will discuss which of your medications you are permitted to take with sips of water the morning of your surgery. If you are on a blood thinner, we may ask you to stop taking it before your surgery.
- Directions We will provide you with directions to the hospital and direct you of where to go once you get there.
- Schedule a Driver During surgery, you will be given local anesthetics. Following surgery, you will have a patch on your eye. We ask that you schedule a driver for your safety.
- Surgery Arrival Time The surgery center will contact you regarding arrival time.
What can I expect after my surgery?
After surgery, you will have a patch on your eye and you may have to position your head in a certain way. If you are asked to be in a face-down position, you may find the use of positioning equipment to be helpful. Many times this is covered by insurance. Positioning equipment provider information can be found here
. We will give you a sheet with instructions following your surgery.
The day after your surgery will be your follow up appointment in our office. You will need a driver. We will take off your patch and start you on eye drops in the office. You should also plan on several follow-up visits during the first few months after your surgery to monitor your progress.
Do not hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns – someone is always available and will return your call.
What our Patients are Saying
"The staff is efficient and has a niche for what they do. Everything seems to go smoothly. Dr. Gersman knows what he’s doing and explains things well."
David, May 2021
"I like Dr. Estafanous. He’s nice, easy going, and keeps me informed all of the time of what’s going on. I feel very comfortable with him. Also, all of the staff are friendly, nice and efficient."
~ Amy, May 2021
"As always, I am pleased with the continued care from Dr. Conti. I feel confident in his knowledge of treatment methods. He shows concern for me as a patient. His office staff is also helpful and efficient."
~ Dan, May 2021
"I was brought back to the room exactly at the time of my appointment - no delays! Sarah was wonderful. It was like talking to a friend while she took my information and checked my eyes. Dr. Wenz was very thorough! He showed me a 3D example of an eye so I understood exactly what was happening with my eye. I highly recommend this practice! Thank you!!"
Annette, May 2021